Monday, April 1, 2013

My Food Intolerance Keeps Me Accountable

I never would have thought that an intolerance to gluten and dairy could keep me accountable to healthy living. But it has.
Last year when I found I was gluten and dairy intolerant I didn't think much of it. In fact, I was happy to know what was causing my chronic pain and weight gain. I lost my joint pain, stuffy sinuses, foggy brain, swollen ankles, inflammation, and a myriad of other symptoms. I also lost a lot of weight. Happy right? My only distress was needing to buy new clothes since dropping 5 sizes.

Well now that a year's gone by and the newness has worn off, I have to ask myself, "Is it worth it to have these limitations"? I mean let's face it, not being able to have even one piece of pasta or cheese puts a damper on my profession. Trying to teach students how to make homemade pasta stuffed with cheese is a bit challenging when I can't eat the food. I can't even touch the pasta dough without wearing gloves, or tell my students how it's supposed to taste. What if it doesn't taste right? And believe me, I've tried to have just one taste. Within one hour I am in pain again...not worth it. So, what to do?

Unlike others who change their way of eating because it's the right thing to do or because they simply want to lose weight, I can't slip back into my old patterns. No matter how much I want a cup of coffee with cream, a piece of pizza with gooey cheese, or how tired I get of having to make everything I eat from scratch, I have to press forward or I'm back to much pain. Call me a wimp, but I don't like pain.

A couple months ago I wasn't feeling that great - a little joint pain, fatigued, not sleeping well, puffiness, and a bit of ankle swelling. Nothing that I haven't lived with in the past, but I know what it feels like to be rid of all these and feel great. Besides, I now know how dangerous it is for me to continue in inflammation. It means my body is in trouble and is trying to protect itself from acidosis - a condition in which my pH balance is too low. Once I'm too acidic my cells don't have enough oxygen to do the job of getting rid of toxins and fighting cancer cells and bringing nutrition where it needs to be - they're too busy trying to keep alkaline. My cells become sluggish and tired and a toxic build-up brings inflammation and chronic pain and fatigue.

But pain is a good thing, in this case. It is a way for my body to tell me there's a problem and it's asking for help. It's saying, "Please give us more nutrients and stop feeding us acidic foods. We need more greens, more vegetables." Because I am more in tune with my body and have some knowledge as to what to do about it, I don't have to run to the doctor to ask her for some pill to relieve the pain. I can simply get rid of toxins through juicing, eating more vegetables and less sugar, and getting my body back in balance. A simple litmus paper test can let me know if I'm at 7.35 pH, where I'm supposed to be.

But litmus paper doesn't need to tell me that I'm too acidic, painful symptoms have already told me. It's a good thing that I am gluten and dairy intolerant since it won't allow me to slip from my resolve to eat well. It's my accountability. If it weren't for that, perhaps I wouldn't be so faithful to eat healthily. And then where would I be?

So I ask myself, "Can this be a good thing? Can these food allergy limitations help me?" I believe they can. We all need accountability. What better accountability than a constant reminder. That reminder will keep me on the straight and narrow, and that will ultimately keep me feeling and being my best.

This is a good thing.

So here's an alkaline lunch to keep you on track from Whole Foods Market. Click on the link to watch a video clip of Chef Chad Sarno making the dish. It's one of my favorites.

Kale Waldorf Salad

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/whole-story/let%E2%80%99s-cook-kale-waldorf-saladWhole Foods Market


 


 
Serves 4 to 6
This variation on the classic Waldorf salad uses kale instead of lettuce and adds apple and walnuts to the dressing for a creamy consistency without using the typical mayonnaise base.



Ingredients:
  • 4 cups packed finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
  • 1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, chopped, divided
  • 1 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons water, more if needed
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt

 

Method:
Place kale in a large bowl. Add half the apple to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup raisins. Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin. Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.


No comments:

Post a Comment