Friday, January 11, 2013


Cleanse. How To Begin
 
According to Dr. Junger in his book, Clean, it is important to take a few days to get ready for the cleanse by eliminating the foods not allowed during the detox. This makes it easier to ease into the new way of eating for 21 days and tends to allow for more success. It also helps to relieve the possible withdrawal symptoms you may experience during the elimination and keep it separate from the rigors of the juice detox.
 
So now we're ready for Day 1 of the Detox.
 
This morning I took half a lemon and squeezed the juice into a glass of Spring water and drank it with my daily supplements. For starters I take a probiotic, a liver support (milk thistle), a One a Day, and an Omega 3. Dr. Junger has a regime of supplements he recommends in his book. Each person has to decide for themselves what is important and doable for their budget.

Because I'm used to sitting with a cup of coffee each morning, it is necessary for me to substitute a cup of herbal tea for this morning routine. I chose Smooth Move Tea by Traditional Medicinals since it helps to keep me regular, which is very important during the detox.

Last but not least, of course, is the juice itself. I use the Breville Juicer which Dr. Junger also recommends because it was more in my price range. There are better juicers to purchase if your budget so allows. My juice this morning is (for 2 servings) made up of organic vegetables and fruits:

10 carrots, scrubbed
1 large cucumber
1/2 lemon (with peel and rind)
1 green apple
1 Gala apple
3-4 stalks celery
1 small beet, with it's leaves

Because I use a Breville juicer (centrifugal $150-$200), I drink the juice within 30 minutes. I do not save this over for the evening meal. You can save it, however, if you purchase a masticating juicer ($350-$400) which keeps the nutrients intact longer.

Exercise and sweating is also very important during the detox to help get rid of toxins. However, it's important not to overdo. We have an elliptical which I use each morning. I go at a moderate pace for 40-50 minutes.

On the weekend, I was able to plan my meals and shop for ingredients. The more you plan and prepare the easier it is to follow through with your goals. One of the recipes I chose to make for my lunches called Quinoa Fennel Pomegranate Salad. It makes 4 servings which feeds both my husband and I for 2 days of lunches. I have adjusted some of the ingredients to make it "Clean" friendly.

Quinoa Fennel Pomegranate Salad

Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine January 2012 issue
1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
1 med fennel bulb, cut lengthwise into 1/4" slices
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
The juice of one fresh lemon
1 1/2 ground cumin (I didn't put this in since I don't care for the flavor)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
Seeds from 1 small pomegranate

Bring quinoa and 3 cups of water or vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 15 minutes. Uncover and let sit 15 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is just tender and lightly golden, 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cut the pomegranate in half and, using a large spoon over a deep bowl, whack the pomegranate numerous times to release the seeds.

Add fennel mixture, chopped herbs, and pomegranate seeds to the quinoa and toss gently to incorporate. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.

This can be eaten hot or cold. I eat it over a large bed of spinach which incorporates more of an 80%/20% ratio of alkaline to acidic ingredients.

Before eating my lunch, I take a digest pill which helps to push things through the digestive tract.

In the afternoon I get quite hungry so I plan for a few snacks. You may have an extra juice again of course; but if you're looking to chew on something, a few almonds, cashews, or walnuts are a great snack as well as pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. It is best to eat your seeds and nuts raw, unroasted and unsalted since cooking them destroys the digestive enzymes, which you especially need during the detox. I also enjoy almond butter on celery or rice cakes. Another thing I do is to keep drinking lots of herbal tea without milk or sugar. This and drinking plenty of filtered water tends to ward off hunger pains as well.
I try not to have a soup every night since the body still has to digest it slightly, but it is good to substitute for the juice on occasion for variety. So for dinner tonight I made a pureed butternut squash soup. (Serves 6)

Butternut Squash Soup

2 pounds butternut chunks
1 large onion
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
32 ounces vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade (see an earlier post)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 green apples, chopped
Salt and pepper

Toss the first five ingredients with the oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 400 degree oven for an hour, or until all vegetables are soft.

Place stock, apples and spices in a blender and add roasted vegetables. Blend until very smooth. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed.

This was nice and thick and very tasty. It made enough for my husband and I to have for 2 dinners (he eats a little more than one bowl).

An important thing to keep in mind that Dr. Junger writes about, is to keep a 12 hour window between your last meal of the day and your first meal of the morning. The reason for this is to give your body a change to naturally detox the daily toxins. A typical meal takes 8 hours to digest. If there are 4 more hours before your next meal, it means your body now has a chance to get to work on finding and eliminating the toxins in the body which have built up during the day. Thus the 12 hour window.

I end my evening with another cup of Smooth Move Tea (my coffee substitute) but nothing else, in order to adhere to the 12 hour window rule.

Between the elimination portion of this program and the first day of detox, I am already seeing health and weight benefits. Hopefully you are seeing the same.





 

8 comments:

  1. Just back from shopping. Have all my veggies washed and bagged for the week. Cooked my Quinoa, have it stored, for my salad. Looking forward to the Squash soup, love it! Good luck everyone! Thank you Becky.
    Blessing, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Anita.

    Sounds like you're ready to go. One of the best ways to be successful is good planning; and it seems you're well on your way. Good luck and enjoy the recipes.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following the cleanse this week, doing well on it, feel great. Should we following the same routine for next week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita: Good for you at following the cleanse this week. You'll find you feel better, you'll think better, pains will be relieved. You may even lose weight. And yes, this is a cleanse for 21 days. Once the three weeks are over, you add back one food at a time per day from the "no list" and see if you have a reaction to it. If you do, stop eating it and wait until the reaction is gone (may take a couple days). Then try the next food, etc. until you've added back the healthy ones. The unhealthy ones (white flour, soda, sugar, etc) well, just try to leave them off for good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried your Carrot/Beet/Cucumber/Celery/Lemon/Apple juice last night...very nice! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    It will definitely become a part of my juicing regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michael. I call it Autumn Beauty because of its color. Glad you liked it. It's one of my fav's too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, I keep checking your blog in hopes of finding new recipes. Have you ever considered writing a cookbook? I for one would definitely buy one.

    ReplyDelete